This is my 40th post!

Q: What's the definition of irony?
A: When you click on a news story on theage.com.au titled 'Debt Hell for Middle Classes' and you get a pop up ad for a credit card....hmmm.....
I've been keeping up with the news from home on ABC and The Age websites and two articles caught my eye today. One was the sad news that Belinda Emmett has died. Pretty awful for Rove, but also very unnerving as she is my age and was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 21. I always think that cancer is something that happens to older people so it's scary when someone that young loses their life this way.
On a lighter note, I was pleased to read that Russell Crowe's latest movie, a comedy, has been 'pants-ed' by the critics. I particularly like this quote by USA Today critic Claudia Puig, "Crowe tries to be adorable and wacky, but is mostly charmless and irksome as a high-powered investment banker." Haven't we known that for years? At least he's still got his band (and we can all be grateful for that!!)
Above is a picture from The Humble Administrators Garden. Not to be confused with the Totally Arrogant Bureaucrat's Garden, which is in another part of the city. It's really nice, and I put a few more pictures of it up on Flickr.
OK, to finish off my 40th post, here's a question for discussion: What constitutes flirting? Can we flirt and not know it? Are girls more aware of flirting than guys? Do you think flirting is different the world over or is it a universal language? Wurly and I were having a discussion about this after a couple of incidents when two Chinese women who shall remain unnamed, 'brushed up' against him with their....well...y'know (I'm thinking of a certain Black Eyed Peas song). Anyway, my take was they knew exactly what they were doing, Wurly thinks it may be a cultural lack of personal space.

20 Comments:
Nancy...
Flirting is a universal language.. it can be done with a laugh, a smile a look, a brush of skin.. or resting ones boobs on someone.
I think flirting is wonderful, and I think you should take it as a compliment that they flirt with Wurly. Both J and I are flirts by nature.. but not in a "giving off the wrong message" way.. just very social, chatty and love to have a good laugh..
so, in closing I say that flirting is good for the soul, it makes us feel alive, sexy and if it's done the right way, shouldn't be harmful to anyone involved.
Being hit on is an entirely different story!!!!!
Yes Nance, you are good, it is me :-)
P.S...
Debt hell for the middle class keeps me in business :-)
a-ha! I knew it! Something in the way you throw a sentence together, I knew it was you! And after your unforgettable back up dancing to Maniac, I can think of no one more qualified to be a flashdance intructor.
Thanks for the insight from an expert - Wurly is, after all, irresistable!
Petal, Althought I want to and know i should agree with Flashdance instructor (I LOVE it by the way) I am a green eyed monster when it comes to others privates on my manhoar. Although I do think it is hilarious to do it myself to others in a pub situation with several shandys under my belt. Am I contradicting myself ????
But when you do it Pet, are you flirting or taking the p*ss? Herein lies the question - is flirting all about intention? Are the rules different for guys/girls? And Flashdance Instructor, when does flirting become 'being hit on'?
Please allow me to chime in on this one. The boundaries are clearly different for the individual. I only flirt with the intention of, well...you know. Therefore, I haven't done it in a real long time, and possibly have forgotten exactly what it was that I used to do. However, as Flashdance mentioned, she and J do it all the time because it is in their natures, and they are quite open with one another about it. Actually, I nearly elbowed J in the guts one day when we went to a boost juice and he was having a friendly banter with the juice girl. But then Flashdance mentioned in a conversation that she knew about the juice girl and thinks it's cute. The difference with Flash and J (almost sounds like a rap group group) is that they would never take it any further and they recognise it for what it is. A nice boost to the ego.
ps. Bono says Hi.
No doubt about it being a nice boost to the ego, I think we can all agree on that one. And I think it's nice too if Wurly gets that kind of an ego boost. I don't think he thinks he's all that and aparently it doesn't count when I tell him he's hot so I'm happy for other women to confirm it for him!
So when can I expect to see Flash and J - the debut album?
As a bloke, I think it depends largely on the context.
I often like to chat to shop assistants etc, but to be friendly. I never expect to take it further.
But if some girl if brushing up against me (again, it depends whether it's a crowded bus or a night club), I might think they're being more than a little friendly. [But then, some guys tend to assume a girl wants to shag them if they so much as smile.]
But apart from Wurly's attractiveness (which we're all well aware of), perhaps they were part of a dare. My friend in Japan tells me that Japanese girls think us Western blokes have big ... attitudes and ambitions.
(they're partly right)
When I do it Petal, I am definately taking the piss. But that fact that some men are wearing a wedding ring doesn't seem to bother some women and even seems to increase the challenge. I know that my manhoar as well as yours, would never cross the boundaries of marriage, however that fact that some women do, will and try, bothers me greatly. Nothing wrong with a wink or even a bit of a brush up, but the boobs thing is a little out there, unless she is pissed then it is a tad funny
I want in on that Flash and J album too. I've seen Flash at Karaoke and it absolutel goes off, so I'm excited about an album. Hope there's a film clip.
well done Muzz for dropping in on behalf of the guys - I think the others must be staying well clear in case they say the wrong thing. C'mon guys, own up - I think we can all agree, married or not, you all enjoy a bit of 'whoops I brushed up against you with my boobs...'
by the way pet - neither one was p*ssed, it was in the workplace no less! still, a little funny.
Well, here in China I'm famous (evident by all the stares and people saying hello!) and sexy (my words, maybe, but still) and I've achieved all of this with a fairly unnatractive looking handlebar mostache I've grown for Movember (think somewhere between David Boon and Ming the Merceless)...
And now I have a whole comments section devoted to me... he he he... well and flirting I guess. And yeah, from the boys' perspective, I love a bit of 'whoops I brushed up against you with my boobs...'
I must confess that (as a single man) I'm not likely to be too concerned with a boob brush.
But I'm guessing Wurly is too traumatised by the experience to comment on the issue.
that was me commenting just before yours... are all these pseudonyms confusing everyone?
No, I just wasn't paying attention (as usual).
Nothing like a bit of s_e_cks to spice up the comments!
No, I'm with all the green-eyed ones - stay clear!
flirting, hmmm...how about the idea of charming someone as opposed to flirting. Charming can be considered an interaction without any particular emotional intent, whereas flirtng for me involves intent and power at some level, intent to feel good about oneself as opposed to being for the benefit of the other person, which can creep up on you and become dangerous territory, especially if you are partnered up already. (that said, if you are single flirting is unreal, 'carpe diem').
Being charming/good/funny/nice/ complimentry to someone could be about just hanging out, having fun, enjoying the benefits of hanging out with the opposite sex without the underlying 'stuff' that can come with flirting (you know what i'm talkin about kids).
The again i could just have poor boundaries and i'm projecting...
peace out
Random thought amongst flirtatious musings:
Sticking up for our "Rusty", related to original post.
Saw said russell crowe movie the other day with samantha, really enjoyed it. Sure it was a bit sacharin, but hey we all need a bit of that once in a while, the kind of movie that makes you want to cuddle up to yr partner, especially after you've both had a feral week, but hey I am getting soft in my old age :-'
Who's up for a 'rusty' fan club?
Hey nancy and wurly, how's things? I'm finally kickin it with the blog chat posse', but rather than have my own i'll just leech on to the comments option on other people's pages.
sj
I just had to make a comment here so that this post gets an all time high comment tally of 20!!
Hi Simon!! RE Rusty, I have spent a long time loving Rusty for his awesome acting talents in films such as Beutiful Mind and Romper Stomper. However I will NEVER forgive or forget after his EMBARRASSING 'musical' performance at that thing in front of Parliament House last year or the year before when he sang his "stories" to the nation. There's only so much a girl can take. Not to mention the ridiculous "Steve..my hand...my heart" at the Irwin memorial. Spew. The man is a tool.
Post a Comment
<< Home