Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

August 24, 2006

Firework City


Fireworks and crackers are thought to scare off evil spirits. It certainly scares me when one explodes right outside your window during a quiet afternoon. Does that make me evil? I've always been a lover of fireworks, and even during the day and despite the proximity to my head, I still love 'em.

This week has been good and strange in many ways. The last 7 days have been a massive overload of information. It has also been like that time when you are the new kid at school and you are in 'friend making' mode, on your best behaviour and not fully being yourself yet. Then I got to thinking about who we make friends with and why. At this age it is unusual to be starting from scratch like this, so it is interesting to think about who we gravitate to and what influences that. Do we inherently seek out people who understand our language, customs and humour? I definitely understand why communities (in Australia) like Sunnybank, Redbank and the Oxley area form. People just want to be with people who understand them and who they can understand. Do most people think that a language barrier is also a barrier to a friendship? I don't agree, but I do think that laziness prevents some of us from making the effort to go outside our comfort zones.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are obviously another evil Aussie who requires constant surveillance and onerous contracts to keep you in line.

The locals obviously don't know what they've let themselves in for - with you two, Wolf Blass and other crazy Aussies around.

12:38 pm  
Blogger Wurly said...

yeah I eat sauceages too...

1:28 pm  
Blogger jnxyz said...

you can choose your friends, but not your workmates...

9:19 am  
Blogger nancyshack said...

...and in this case, my friends are all workmates. So faar anyway. But they're all really nice.

1:25 pm  
Blogger nancyshack said...

thanks mulitplanar! it's actually the dragon head at the front of the little boat we went a-cruisin' in. but I like your idea much better.

6:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blog - keep it up!

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you are evil. Great photo but.

8:31 am  
Blogger matt said...

Hi Steph do you read this too?

Hi Tracey. Not enough exclaimation marks on this blog. Just put them in, we don't mind. You're having an adventure on the other side of the world afterall.

!!!

2:37 pm  
Blogger nancyshack said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy. Your musings on communities bring a tear to the eye. Browntown misses you. Love Phyllis.

6:03 pm  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Dear Nancy (and that guy that's with her), It is Riverfire tonight, I promise to take some photo's from my place in the Farm and to post them for you. While I am sure you are seeing enough firecrackers, fireworks etc there is nothing like seeing them at home.

1:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home