Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

November 24, 2006

Community

Yesterday we had the rehearsal for our school’s 10th birthday celebrations, which will happen on Monday. As I stood in our massive foyer (see picture http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6419/2885/1600/P1020559.jpg) with close to 1500 students, I had a real feeling of belonging to a community. Many of my colleagues who were there and were mercilessly taking the p*ss out of the whole event would laugh hysterically if they heard me say that, but it is one thing that I think is really great about working in schools. I’m sure that all schools would place ‘community’ very high on their list of things they want to do well, or be known for. Here more than at my last school, I really do feel like I am a part of a community. SIP (Sūzhōu Industrial Park) where we all live, really is a small town in a massive city. You see people ‘around’ on weekends all the time; kids, colleagues, parents, there’s always a friendly conversation going on at the shop or the street corner.

The whole rehearsal was a very somber and reverent affair and right in the middle of it, while I was trying to keep my grade 6 homeroom kids quiet, one of them cracked off a smelly one…and I’m sure we can all imagine how funny that is to a class of grade 6 kids (well, it’s pretty funny no matter how old you are really). Even when they’re not being funny these kids crack me up, so I knew I had no hope! There they all were, eyes popping out of their heads and fists stuffed into their mouths in an effort not to laugh…and me, trying to shush them with my serious teacher’s face while hyperventilating in my own effort to calm my hysterical laughing. I know I’ve said it before, but gosh these kids crack me up….

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a big foyer. And colourful too.

I reckon it's good to feel part of a community, even (or especially)if it's your school community.

Admittedly, I write as a former student rather than teacher (and still feel somewhat proud to have been part of my primary and high school community).

11:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh Heh, good to know that farts are funny where ever you may be. Yep, nothing brings a sense of belonging like sharing a secret fart during a ceremony. On the topic of community; I would have thought it impossible to find in such a large place, but I suppose that it's all relative (ie. ratio of geography to community). Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, saw my mate Elton on the weekend, he says Hi. He did dedicate a song to you, shame you missed it. Oh and, I think it's important to mention that in light of our recent foray into the world of tv drama/soapie, I am now the proud owner of series 1 of Beverly Hills 90210. Jealous?

8:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I sense a doubtful smell in the air, I just turn the other cheek (so to speak)... well, I turn my whole face away, and quietly contemplate it's significance...

11:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's the hairdo's on Brenda and Brandon?

7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which song did Elton dedicate to our correspondent? I'm sure it's a clue that's going to be referenced later in the entralling soap opera saga that Nancy Goes to Hollywood has become.

And BH 90210! I MUST get my own copy (or at least put it on my Chrissy list). Is Melrose also available

7:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiit just one cotton pickin second here...who the hell is Elton...? Can I have some further clarification on the Elton issue? Elton John? As in 'Goodbye England's Rose' Elton John?

Oh Ridge, you've finally joined my blog. I always knew we'd end up together!

10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many lame questions, so little blog space. Yes, I was referring to Elton John. Concert was on Sunday and it was fan bloody tastic. Well, it wasn't U2 or anything, but it was still right up there. Yes you are right, I should have told you that he dedicated an old favourite and changed the words slightly, so (drum roll please) it was "Nancy and the Jets" I suppose it was for you because of that Mohair suit you wear from time to time.
Oh, and yes, the 90210 hairdo's are so awesome, although they are verging on hairdon'ts.
But enough about me and my fabulously tacky life, how are yous all doing? And how are we supposed to figure out who some of these people are? Are Muzz and I the only ones that use the same name all the time? And are 3 prunes in one sitting too many?

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phyllis, I'm afraid that I don't use the same name all the time. Like Wurly, I often feel the need to identify as multiple different characters.

6:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home