Zhonguo Mei Mei

Hello and welcome back Phillis! Don't underestimate yourself by the way, you and Gwennie are my audience! OK so you may be wondering about the photo. I went along with a group of girlfriends a couple of weeks ago and tarted up China style for a photo shoot. It was heaps of fun. Quite the thing to do if you are a Chinese girl (translation of the title 'Chinese little sister'). You actually get a book full of fancy pictures of yourself! You may notice that I have been photoshopped and airbrushed....just a bit!
The past few weeks have been really amazing. The earthquake has shone a light on this country the likes of which the Olympics could never do. For the first time, flags flew at half mast (even in T Square) in mourning of 'common people'. This has never happened before for 'the people', only in commemoration of the passing of 'important' folks like the big M and the like. Many commentators have commentated that it marks the turning of a corner where the value of the common human life is given value like never before. I hope so. Although I just finished watching the 4 Corners special on the trafficking of children and women in China. But as they say, small steps are better than none. The fund raising has been incredible though. I can't imagine that in 1973 (I think) when more than 250,000 were killed in another catastrophic earthquake, that there was much public awareness, let alone the kind of fund raising efforts we have seen. I was proud that my school raised about 96,000RMB (about 15,000AUD). I have seen on local TV, some shows that look I guess like our equivalent of the telethon, where people are lined up one after the other proudly declaring how much they have donated.
One week after the earthquake the country marked a 3 minute national mourning period, to coincide with the time the earthquake hit and the length of time it went on for. Our school did it the sombre way, by observing 3 minutes of silence, during which I had my grade 11 Biology class. I asked them to stand and I had some powerpoint pictures from the news websites for them to watch. I was holding back the tears. My class, bless them, are lovely and it was a meaningful moment for us. I kept thinking about all the new orphans and all the parents who lost their children and who may now be too old to have another child. Some may have been sterilized after the birth of their first (and only) child and may never be able to have another one. Many of the school buildings were, in some towns, the only ones to be destroyed because they for some reason were subject to very poor building safety standards. The rest of the country observed a 'national cry of anguish', where all horns, alarms and sirens were sounded for 3 minutes. I didn't hear it from school but Andrew did and he said it sounded amazing. I like that idea better than the 3 minute silence. Sometimes when you're p*ssed off you just want to scream.

6 Comments:
and Jazzy Cat makes three. Good to see another entry on the blog. You very pretty lady....You liiiiike? Hope the worldspotlight continues to improve the country's humanitarian attitude!
Oh My! Who looks just like a pretty little china doll? (pardon the pun). I agree that I prefer the idea of the noisy moment in rememberance. It's seems so much more appropriate to let rip and show your anger about such loss. A cathartic experience even. Hopefully some were able to release the grief enough to start on the road to recovery. And on a completely selfish note; I am so happy that yous guys weren't hurt. I mean I haven't even met the little dude yet! Bless. x Phyllis.
Nice pose Mrs Shack, did Andrew get any photos done? How would they dress him up?
I was also impressed with the way the mourning was done, it seemed very un-ch*na like.
There was a doco on tonight called "Wild China" which had lots of Pandas and Kung Fu but not mention of a firewall.
Hope you are all well and rested.
You look soooo loverrrly!! (we are in My Fair Lady mode over here...)
You really do look nice. I was quite taken aback when I logged on to see what Nancy has been up to.
Hopefully see you soon when you come to Brisvegas.
LOL to you all xxx
Swish pic Pet. I must say that I didn't even realise it was you until I started reading. Take that one to the pool room when you get back.
I too am glad the fam is safe. A little too close to home though. To me an earthquake seems so much more horrific than other natural disasters like floods and stuff. It is so more violent. I got a warm fuzzy about the pregnant woman that was saved and just had her daughter, that was nice.
lookin forward to more experiences from Beijing..;-)
btw - I've tagged you for a meme (see my blog for details) if you want to play along.
Post a Comment
<< Home