Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

August 17, 2007

Newsworthy


Here's a picture of my favourite little puppy lovin up a bit of beach action at Caloundra.

Totally irrelevant to that, I'm sure you all may have heard about the 6 miners trapped underground in Utah? It's all over the news here. They have been trapped for over a week now, no sound or indication if they are alive and tragically, yesterday or the day before, another rock fall killed three of the rescue workers so they had to stop tunnelling for the 6 guys. It's not being said if or when they will resume the rescue. It's awful to think that they might be down there and still alive, or that the poor families have to endure such a long horrible wait. But what seems even more awful to me, is that there has also been a huge mine collapse here in Chna, trapping over 600 miners, about 450 of whom were rescued. That leaves 150 men trapped in a water flooded mine and according to the mine manager, they have little chance of being rescued. These 150 men warranted a sliding news bar at the bottom of the TV screen versus the 10 or so minutes given at every news update to the 6 American miners in Utah. Shame on you CNN International for this obvious value judgement on the lives of Americans versus the lives of Chnese.

Did anyone in Australia hear anything of this disaster? It happens all the time here, about 5000 men killed every year in mines here in Chna. I'm sure that is a very conservative estimate. And it goes largely unreported. Perhaps if every life lost in mines in this country were reported with the over-sentimental sensationalism of the Beaconsfield collapse or the Utah incident, there might be some pressure on mine managers to get their mine safety standards manual the hell out of the toilet and do something to protect these very vulnerable workers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we heard about the american miners. I must sadly confess though, that when I heard it was in America, my attention went from eyes glued to the telly to listening from the kitchen.

We have similar situations in the medical profession as with your miners, were I was witness to a newly transferred African Dr (the one that couldn't speak english well and had to use sign language and hand gestures - fricken scary) do nothing less than half arsed examinations and attention to patients because his experience is "life is cheap" (in Africa) and "why waste time and resources on the common folk". Horrific. Needless to say, he didn't stay long. But I guess with the big corporate types, it's all about the dollar rather than the masses of little people who did all the hard slog to get you there.

Pigs!!!!!!!!

9:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard about both of them, and like you, noted the lack of story from the Chinese side.

I wasn't sure if they told you locals about these incidents or not. But you probably can't even read my comment anyway.

Nice doggie pic!

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home