Poor ol' Wurly...
I guess because it's getting closer to our summer holidays and we both need a change of scene, but our fuses are a little shorter when it comes to bizarre Chinese things lately, so I can relate to Wurly's recent rants on his blog. However in the interest of keeping the balance, I have had a few positive thoughts and experiences lately that have lifted my spirits and helped me look forward to the second year without dread.
Firstly, as the end of the school year draws very near, a good friend of mine is preparing to leave China and return to Canada. As I was thinking the other day that these are her final days here in Suzhou, I realised that if it were me, I wouldn't be ready to go. So it was a good (and surprising) realisation that I'm not ready to go yet. Having been here a year and having not yet seen the Great Wall may have something to do with this. This oversight is soon to be rectified in our summer holidays!
The other thing that happened was that we needed a wardrobe moved from one room to another in our apartment to start getting the baby's room ready. The problem was that it is too big to fit into the room no matter which way you try. So the owner of our apartment had 5 (count 'em) guys come over last night, take the whole thing apart and put it back together in the other room. They were so painstakingly careful and even went to get the vacuum cleaner out to clean up after themselves (I stopped him). All this for free. And I thought, 'there's no way a bunch of workmen would go to this much trouble back home....for free....'
I saw a photo of Merri Rose on the cover of the Courier Mail today and it looked like Ozzy Ozbourne.

1 Comments:
You are certainly right. You'd never get that sort of service in Australia for free. But at least they'd know if there'd been a riot in the neighbouring state. (sorry - couldn't resist)
Hope you enjoy the Great Wall.
Post a Comment
<< Home