Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

May 05, 2007

Hapless in Hong Kong


Sorry to blow my own trumpet here, but I reckon this is the coolest photo I've ever taken. And I'm not that much of a fan of building shots! It the IFC tower in Hong Kong, the third (?) tallest building in the world (at the moment anyway). It is pretty amazing at night. Because of the ever present smog, the lights at the very top that point straight upward cast an eerie glow around the top of the building against the 'clouds'. Yay for smog! I have some more photos from HK that I'll try to upload onto the ever unreliable Flickr site.

It was a weird feeling going to Hong Kong. In a way it was like being on good behaviour release from prison (because obviously I know what that feels like). I had a strange feeling of freedom for the first 48 hours or so. All of a sudden there was free (and English) press in the form of newspapers with real news and cable channels that didn't blank out. I could read magazinies even! There were churches of all descriptions everywhere, it was easy to get around and things generally just made sense. There was so much more diversity in the way of food and shopping. Hong Kong is famous for its shopping but I'd have to say it's definately not for me! Even though there were 'western' sizes and lots of choice, I've never been much of a shopper (I find it frustrating and boring) and in Hong Kong shopping is only for the loaded of wallet. On our last night as we walked back to our hotel, I counted probably 10 or more designer label shops in a row, none of which I could afford so much as an odd sock from the discount rack.

So the Hong Kong wrap up? A great city if you're very cashed up. It would be fantastic to live in for a year or two, but you'd need to get out after that due to the air quality. If you love space and a little peace and quiet - stay away. If crowds and street hawkers bother you - definately stay away. If I go again I'm going to have a t-shirt made that says "No I don't want a copy watch, handbag or suit". Best moments: monkeys, gibbons and apes at the Hong Kong zoo, some awesome Thai food and a trip to Ocean Park (seaworld-type theme park).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must agree that you've taken a very impressive photo there Nancy. I'd be proud of such an effort.

As to Honkers, I reckon it's one of the world's most amazing cities, if only because what they've done with the place (I sound like I'm discussing interior decoration).

Don't know if I'd want to live there for any great length of time though. Maybe you're appreciating it so much more due to the freedoms.

5:14 pm  
Blogger jnxyz said...

can't find the pic on your flickr...? and as for nick's blog, its gone. but he does have a music site and a bike riding site up somewhere now... I should know - he rode nearly from the gindi to Kilcoy (via mt glorious) the other weekend!

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home