Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

March 04, 2007

All in at the airport


Here's a picture of the lovely view from our beachside bungalow on Mui Ne beach in Vietnam. It was just awesome, a 10 meter walk to the beach/pool/bar...no reason to do anything but lie about, sunning ourselves, eat, read, chat...it was a great holiday. OK enough about the ideallic holiday already, we have to get to the hilarious/infuriating holiday story - there's one on every trip I tell ya!

OK so we're on our way home and since there are no direct flights between Shanghai and Vietnam (what the..!!??) we have to go via Guangzhou (in China). So we get to Guangzhou no problems and we have about a 3 hour wait for our next flight. Only, we look at the departure board and all the flight to Shanghai are 'cancelled'....OK.....so we go to the stand-by desk to find out what's going on and there are 100 or so angry Chinese, presumably all trying to get to Shanghai too. There is an all out screaming match going on between China Eastern (airline) staff and disgruntled (I love that word) passengers. There are people BEHIND the counter sitting on the bench, having a smoke, eating instant noodles, watching the action and I couldn't tell who was staff and who wasn't. There was one decrepit looking computer and NOBODY was helping ANYBODY. Then I noticed all the airline staff walk out. I went up to he counter and waved my ticket in some guys face and got yelled at and told to GO AWAY. Then they all started laughing at me. At this point I was pretty furious, and, weighing up the situation, I figured they probably wouldn't know the meaning of the insults that were boiling up inside me, so, feeling safe behind the language barrier, I let loose with a couple of choice words. He he he...Wurly, sensing that I probably needed to calm down a tad, put me in the corner of a cafe with a cup of coffee and I chilled out for about an hour.

With still no information about anything and nothing seeming to be going on, tensions at the stand-by counter would explode and settle with half hourly cycles. Once I was sure I could speak without swearing, I went back over and by this time we'd decided that the whole thing was now just a funny story, another example of Chinese disorganisation. When I got back to the 'scene' it was not long before the crowd swelled and broke out into an all in brawl! People were jumping the counter to get into the fray (behaviour that, in an airport, would - or should - get you arrested in most other countries). It had turned a bit 'Lord of the Flies' with the crowd banging on the counter, cheering and screaming like they were at a boxing match. I was far enough away to not feel threatened, but it was pretty nasty. Security guards and police ran in from everywhere...and started taking photos and filming it!! You'd think that maybe they'd try to stop it, or at least drag a few people away in handcuffs, but no, why stop it when you can just stand there and stare?

In the end, we suddenly and inexplicably got on another flight through an affiliate, China Southern, from which Wurly got food poisoning. I think we were the beneficiaries of some reverse racism - preferential treatment due to the fact that we were foreigners. Last I saw, as we were ushered off to a waiting lounge, there were still 100 or so Chinese people still fighting it out at the stand-by counter. Who knows if they got home that day.

My moral of the story is that I'll never fly China Eastern again.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right, so I am guessing that there is also a Ch*na Western and a Ch*na Northern? Not very inventive with naming the companies are they? Anyhoo. I am glad that you went through the gamut of emotions relatively quickly in order to acheive the humour in the situation. And you did get to your destination in the end. Sorry about Wurly's hershey squirts though.

7:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if there is a China Western and northern, but if there is, I won't be flying with them! Did you see your link Phillis?

2:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a top quality story. Can't imagine what I'd do. Probably cower in a corner and read my book, pretending nothing was happening.

Actually, coming back from Japan, I'd been delayed a couple of days from Vietnam (due to a cyclone or something) and my ticket back to Australia was technically invalid as it was for a couple of days previously. The travel agent didn't want to know about it, but the very kind people at JAL/Qantas decided to let me fly home anyway without paying any extra cash. I bought the staff a box of chocolates.

I think I'll steer clear of Chinese airlines as well.

Thanks for sharing.

6:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your stories!! (or is it story's?) I won't bore you with my airline story in the same country, but suffice to say....it was cetainly an 'interesting'situation similar to yours.

Have any of you read "The Unknown Terrorist" by Richard Flannagan? ("The Sound of One Hand Clapping" etc)I had my own 'experience' with an Optus service I received yesterday arvo getting my new phone connected. I am the type of person who always thinks the worst though, so I was probably just jumping to conclusions...

11:44 am  
Blogger Wurly said...

I'm pretty sure there's a China Northern or North Chinese Airlines or something - but right now I don't care about verifying it either. The difference in airline quality, even between relative small players like Vietnam Airlines and the Chinese Airlines is pretty dramatic. It's like going back to the 80s to fly - except you don't get that tiny pack of cards or other gimmicks they used to have. Forget your own TV, forget any TVs - even for the long haul flights - if you do get them, they have no headphones and just Chinese playing through some seriously old speakers in the cabin.

Nancy's story is a goodie - and I'd been asking her to write it because I felt she'd do a better job. There were so many other things that were crappy with Guanzhou Airport and China Eastern - our flight to Guangzhou also got cancelled with no explanation. No announcements (not even in Chinese) and the so called information desks have an injoke where they keep referring you to another desk until you've completed the circle and are back where you started. The actual information boards don't tell you which gate to go to check in either (and Guangzhou Airport is massive) and all the English signs are typically pointing in the wrong direction. Anyway, you get the picture...

Sorry for hijacking these comments!

Life's good in China. I love it seriously!! But you've just gotta have some outlet for some of the crazy things that happen....

1:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Nancy, I did indeed see the link to my blogspot. I have linked you too. So now we can all be one big happy blogging family who vow to never fly any directional airlines of Ch*na. Wurly's description of the planes reminds me of a similiar story from a friend who flew Turkish, and all the locals cheer when the plane lands at it's destination as though they never thought it was going to make it. I must add that I would be with Muzz hiding in the corner and occasionally peering over the top of my book while trying to pretend I was still reading.

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home