Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

January 06, 2007

Happy New Year to you too!



Above is a photo of a shop window mannequin in Shanghai, expressing the views of mannequins world wide no doubt.

This year (or rather last year) we decided to celebrate New Year's Day rather than NYE...(uh oh, is that the approaching rumble of middle age I hear?) Our excuse, if I need to make one, was that we spent the whole day getting back home from Japan...bus-long wait at airport-plane-long car ride...etc. So for the first time ever, I was in bed before midnight!! arrgghhh! However, it wasn't to be a quiet slumber as we were woken (as expected) by crackers and fireworks. Why leave your house in the freezing cold to see the fireworks when you can see them right outside your bedroom window? I got up to watch the excitement and it was just two guys down in the courtyard letting rip, no audience, almost like a very matter of fact thing you'd be doing in a deserted apartment courtyard at midnight. Although I couldn't see them, I could hear the city echo with crackers and fireworks, almost like a war zone. It was pretty cool.

So on New Year's Day we went to the Sheraton as previously mentioned and ate ourselves silly at the amazing brunch buffet. If any of you come and visit that is our first stop, so don't eat for at least two days prior to getting here. It's awesome. In fact, forget the Great Wall, just come over and visit us so we can take you to the Sheraton brunch.

8 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

Happy 2007! I find the store front dummy curious. How do they get away with that? We had a 'Tan-Town' last night. It was merely tan as there were only 3 attendees. Myself and both the Mrs Renee C's. I had a hoot, as one does when accompanied by the 2 Mrs C's.
You're quite right about us all getting older and making those 'sensible' decisions that we used to make fun of. The restaurant we went to last night was chosen as they have Karaoke. But after only about 5 songs in, we decided to get the heck out of there because all these 20 somethings were singing songs from OUR youth, and we just wanted to keep having a good chin wag over coffee. Once upon a time (in the not too distant past) we would have been elbowing these kids out of the way to get to the microphone first.

1:36 pm  
Blogger nancyshack said...

well given the amount we ate at the new years day brunch, I can obviously still make irresponsible decisions!

Hedley!! Scott Hedley!! Do you remember him Phillis?

Glad to hear about the Tan Town, as long as it doesn' turn into a Beige Town.

11:33 am  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Oh My Gosh! You ran in to Oogie in Japan??? That is so bizarre. Never fear, Brown Town ain't going anywhere. We may tone it down from time to time, but it will live on, strong and brown as ever. My New Years was spent at Giardinetto restaurant in the Valley with a bunch of good buddies. By 11(ish) I had finished my 2 bottles of wine so I was prime for the move up to the Brunswick Hotel where we all saw the New Year in. Amongst the resident bar flys. We zig zagged our way to the cliffs at midnight to watch the fireworks, and then back to the pub for more fun and frivolity. I was safely tucked in to bed by 2:30am and had no hangover as I stopped drinking at the restaurant. I am very proud of the no hangover thing. Of course eating 'til you puke on New Years day sounds good too.

7:02 pm  
Blogger nancyshack said...

Sounds like a solid new years eve, one for which you can hold your head up high. and i agree, how fabulous is it to have a big night out and then wake up with no hangover due to some responsible drinking decisions!

10:30 am  
Blogger Phyllis said...

I would hardly say that knocking over 2 bottles of wine is a responsible drinking decision. I just fluked it by not having a hangie the next day. Of course even without the hangover, I still would have eaten my share at the Sheraton Buffet the next day. Given the chance. That entire smoked salmon would have been mine! Bwah ha ha!

7:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, i think some of the other guests were complaining that the 'red headed Laowei' (foreigner) was knocking off all the prawns! mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

11:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in an apprenticeship as a curmudgeon for many years now. I steadfastly refuse to stay up for midnight on NYE. Just the wanker I am I guess.

But love the mannequin!

7:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a what?

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home