Nancy and Wurly's Excellent Adventure
Happy New Year! We celebrated the new year with the fantastic Sheraton brunch, which we have heard a lot about but had not yet experienced until yesterday. In the words of the eloquent Wurly, 'This is the best spread I've ever seen!' But more about New Year's later...I have so much to say that I'm going to have to break this up over the next month to avoid one of those really long posts.
So we had a fab time skiing in Japan, no serious falls aside from a fairly good face plant on my part and a few good slides which resulted in a pant-load of snow (literally). There was the "you gotta be kidding" moment when we ran into a friend of Andrew's from Brisbane, followed closely by a "get outta town" moment when we realised she was there with her husband, a former school mate of mine!
As for the actual skiing, above is a picture of Mount Yotei (huge volcano) from one of the more girly-pants runs we did earlier in the week. We did get almost to the top of the mountain to tackle some longer (but still green) runs, and may I say that Wurly was packing a fair bit of speed by week's end. I think we both faced some of our fears: Wurly of flying out of control down steep slippery mountains, and me of nuding up in front of complete strangers (...I think I'll leave that one there...he he he)
The whole resort is practically run by Australians, giving it a pretty laid back feel...some dudes are so laid back I'm surprised they can get themselves up a hill to board back down. We also met Bill and Ted (Aussie version)...dude. As with most resorty-type places, I thought there was a strange vibe where you get this 'locals V punters' type divide. There's a whole lotta coolness going on and it's not just the weather. Has anyone else experienced that? Much, much more later.

3 Comments:
Hey there international jet setters. I have had some trouble with your last entry and can't seem to get in there and see what other people wrote.
I look forward to hearing more about the ski trip. Who was the guy from school?
Hmm, wierd. We have had some internet problems due to an earthquake in Taiwan which severed some cables or somethin...Could be due to that.
It was Scott...(damn, I've forgotten his last name, it will come to me, watch this space)..nickname oogs. Solid guy, was one of the AFL dudes, hung out with Brad Rantell etc. A really nice guy! Now in his final year of a medical degree.
I like the mountain.
Post a Comment
<< Home