English gone wrong
Me and Wurly went to have some passport photos taken the other day and we went to this children's photographer, who just happened to be the closest. He had these examples of photo collages you could have done of your kids with different quotes written (in English) alongside the photos like "I love ballet" or "my little princess" or other such kiddy-type inspirational words. The quote below is an abbreviated version of what appeared on one such collage with pictures of kids running in green fields and playing with teddy bears etc. I know we've talked about examples of Chinglish before, but this one has to be by far the worst example of inappropriate use of the English language EVER:
"...they've been fighting here for years, but now there's killing while small coffins are lined up sadly now."
I desperately wanted to say something to them, but sadly my Englineese is pretty bad.

10 Comments:
my god, that's hilarious!
?????????????????????
I am seriously scratching the noggin on that one. I can't even begin to imagine what they were trying to say. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy morbidity just as much as the next girl. OK, I actually enjoy it much more. But still, where were they going with that? The mind boggles.
ps. Where are the photos of Japan?
Chinese translation is a culture using cut 'n' paste from other places - there's no attention to these matters, so pretty regularly you get these completely baffling out of place translations...
Yeah, but where are the photo's of Japan?
yeah. Where are the photos of Japan? (I"m not sure what this has got to do with the previous post, but I feel like being a follower)
Yeah....what the?????????????????? We want Japan...................
We want Japan....Everybody......
We want Japan
we want a stable and fast internet connection so that we can upload photos....
(imagine pre 56k internet speeds - about 4-5 years ago)... no can do.
You guys crack me up. By the way, we now have some 'Lurkers' on this site...some certain colleagues from Suzhou who may or may not (shi bu shi?) have gotten hold of this address...
Come on Lurkers! (I'd say what a strange name, but we seem to get some doozies on this blog) Show you face - or the linguistic representation thereof.
Post a Comment
<< Home