Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

July 05, 2007

The Big Surprise!!

Well we pulled it off! Thanks to all commenters for refraining from mentioning the secret trip home for the past couple of months. I am writing from the free and clean air-ed Australia, on the NSW north-ish coast, sitting at my parents computer. I can hardly believe I am here. The big surprise was a hit and a big laugh....

I landed last Thursday night and my uncle came to pick me up. I wanted to lay face down and kiss the ground I was that happy to be on home soil. The first thing I noticed was how easy it is to order a snack at the airport cafe when one speaks the same language as the girl behind the counter. And that I picked what I wanted to eat rather than what I thought would make me the least ill.

I stayed the night at my Aunty and Uncle's house and sank into the bed and thought.."WOW! So SOFT!!!" I'd forgotten how soft the beds are here. The next day I went out to the shops and to lunch with my Aunty and had barramundi which was divine. I marvelled all day at the blue sky and clear air. I could see all the way to the mountains!!

Friday night came and all the other uncles, aunts and cousins arrived for our dinner. Everyone was really excited because they knew that Mum and Bill had no idea I was there. One cousin had the video camera at the ready and another cousin was ready to take some shots of Mum's reaction. Bill arrived first and when he saw me, he kept his reaction under control in typical Bill form, but also because he knew that Mum was coming in behind him and he didn't want to blow it for her. Then Mum walked in. She saw everybody else first and was busily saying hello, meanwhile everyone was laughing because she hadn't seen me yet. She told me later she wondered why everyone was acting so weird.

When she finally saw me her face froze, her mouth dropped open and she started pointing at me going "what...what...what??" She couldn't form words, it was so funny. It took her a good minute or two to regain some composure and the skill of verbal communication. Later on she said she had a million thoughts running through her head like 'That's not Tracey', 'That is Tracey', 'Tracey can't be here', 'Maybe she got sacked' (thanks for the vote of confidence) and 'Maybe she decided to come home and have the baby'.

It went down a right treat and it was well worth the months of trying not to say anything. If anyone has a chance to do this to their parents in the future I highly recommend it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Tracey, and glad to hear it went well. I can just imagine the surprise and joy.

I did this to my mum a few years back. Although she was overjoyed to see me, she made me promise not to do it again.

7:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it Pet. I have a few tears in my eyes. I can just imagine Irene - priceless.

I did it to my Mum too. For her 50th birthday party - again priceless.

Can't wait to see ya Pet. Hurry up Brown Town.

4:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home Tu Tu :) Glad to hear the surprise was a hit!

5:57 pm  
Blogger nancyshack said...

There's my ladies! Back again! Yes I can hear the not so distant rumblings of a Brown Town comin' down the line....he he he

3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home