Nancy Goes to Hollywood

My pre-Chna, in-Chna and around-Chna blog. Please feel free to write comments, however, Blogger is blocked at the moment so I can't reply to your comments. Please also check out our photo links below.

September 17, 2006

What a cracking good time!



If anything sends me insane while I am here, it will be the crackers. Day and night, night and day.... yesterday must have been quite a festive day. We began with our first crackers at about 9am, followed by two or three others by lunch. Later in the afternoon, while in the middle of a very nice Saturday afternoon nap, more crackers! (If drinking the water doesn't make me lose bowel control this sure will!) If you have been to Fortitude Valley at Chinese New Year, you'll know the ones I am talking about - long strings of REALLY loud bangs that go on for a couple of minutes. They do this right outside the building and it echoes around like you wouldn't believe because they let them off in a pretty confined space. They also let off fireworks at the same time, which tend to have more effect at night but who am I to criticize?

They do it when babies are born, when a new shop opens, when people come home from a trip and yesterday there was a wedding so before the bride could leave her apartment they had to let off those strings of crackers in the shape of a heart - kinda romantic! I think maybe the newly married couple came home late last night because at about midnight...you guessed it! At least we could appreciate the pretty colours this time! I didn't even have to leave the comfort of my own bed to watch the fireworks display!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you get passed even noticing the sound. It'll be like not hearing the sirens in New York. It's easy, just become really self involved and then the sound of your own internal dialogue will drown it out. I do it all the time.

9:46 am  
Blogger nancyshack said...

sweet, I'll give it a try. (dude, you're quick! I think you are single handedly making this blog worthwhile!)

Apologies for saying 'sweet' and 'dude', I've been watching way too much Southpark...

10:00 am  
Blogger matt said...

Sweet dude, I can relate to the crackers thing a bit from a stay in India during Dwali (or whatever it's called - you know - the indian new year). Our hotel guard brought in three groups of fireworks: "these go bang, these are danger, these are VERY danger!". I remember watching from the roof of the hotel, the fire engines going up and down town all night.

7:22 am  
Blogger nancyshack said...

That's funny, now me and Andrew have both had pregnancy announcements in our comments! Seems like quite the modern way of making these kind of announcements....so.......without further ado.........I'm..............eating rice bubbles!
YAY for you Frank! and a big woooooowoooooo!

6:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get rice bubbles in China!

4:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

der, rice bubbles, rice, hello! rice in china. c'mon Muzz, get with the program. Or were you using irony?

4:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home